Speech at State Assembly
Excerpts from the opening speech at State Assembly
Salient Features of State-5
• Sisne Putha Snow mountain to Marchawaar
• Triveni to Rajapur
• Dang, the largest and beautiful valley of Asia
• The birthplace of trailblazer of peace, Lord Gautam Buddha
• Tilaurakot, Ramgram, Devdaha, Niglihawa and other Buddha related and Buddha era artifacts and places
• Swargadwari-Pyuthan, Paanini Tapobhumi, Supa Deurali Bhagwati temple- Arghakhachi, Resunga-Gulmi, Ridi, Dharpaani (Pandaweshwor), Chaughera Ratan Nath (Dang)
• Bank, Bardia and Dhorpatan reserves
• Naumure multipurpose hydroelectricity project
• Illiteracy, poverty, backwardness, unemployment
• the challenge of finalization and selection of permanent capitol city of Pradesh 5
• The challenge of transforming zonal mindset to state mindset
• mitigation of problems precipitated by the psychology of centralized and unilateral government
• Conversion of political framework accustomed to right-centric politics to development and prosperity
• Limitation of resources and wherewithal
• Shortcomings of required infrastructure at temporary capitol
Socio-economical situation of state-5
• Palpa leads and Rolpa is the weakest link from the perspective of human development index. Arghakhachi and Rupandehi succeed Palpa whereas Pyuthan and Rukum lags way behind.
• Palpa, Gulmi and Arghakhachi tops the chart in terms of literacy. Kapilwastu, Rolpa and Rukum are behindhand.
• From the angle of per capita income, Nawalparasi, Banke and Dang are comparatively ahead of Rolpa, Python and Gulmi.
• Palpa, Rupandehi and Gulmi are doing better from poverty indicator perspectives. Rolpa, Rukum and Kapilwastu lag behind them
• Palpa, Gulmi and Arghakhachi lead the chart from average age perspective whereas Kapilwastu, Banke and Rolpa lag behind.
• Palpa, Gulmi and Arghakhachi are in better position in child mortality rate where as situation is grim in Kapliwastu, Bardia and Rolpa.
• Nawalparasi, Rupandehi and Dang are performing better from overall agriculture productivity. Among hilly districts situation at Palpa, Arghakhachi and Pyuthan is also satisfactory. Rolpa and Rukum lags significantly in this sector.
• Rupandehi, Nawalparasi and Dang contribute more on gross domestic production whereas Rolpa, Pyuthan and Rukum are the weakest contributors.
• From Access road density point of view, Rupandehi, Nawalparasi and Palpa facilities.
• Rupandehi, Bardia and Banke has better access to drinking water. Dang, Rukum and Rolpa are most deprived to have this facility.
• Almost 92% of inland-revenue of state-5 is contributed by four districts of Tarai, namely, Rupandehi, Banke, Dang and Kapilvastu. Rupandehi contributes substantially in both custom and inland revenue. But in nutshell, in-land revenue is the weak link of state-5
At the moment, when we are manifesting our determination of transforming this state as the best and model state of the country, the ground reality is that we are in 4th position from overall perspectives. We have to achieve our milestones through the planned initiatives and activities. We have no luxury at all to run away from our challenges. Let’s vow together that we will collectively translate the challenges into opportunities and transform the state into prosperous and model state of this country. The onus of transformation is upon us and no other than us can or will do it. We can and we must do it. This is the promise from the government under my leadership.
Our long journey has started amidst the depravity and challenges. But this won’t and can’t be the hindrance in reaching the milestones we have set.
• We have already established the required ministries despite lacking the physical infrastructures.
• Commission for drafting the required state laws have already been formed and highest priority has been set for promulgation of state laws.
• Attorney general has already been hired.
• The work on white-paper has already started and the white-paper is intended to portray the overall as-is situation of the state.
• Concept paper on state development has already kicked off.
• State level Planning commission has already been formed and chief office bearer is already hired. The commission has already started working on preparing short, medium and long-term plans.
• Work on establishment of state bank for project implementations is taking place.
• Consultation with federal government has already started to establish administrative and governance authorities.
• The progress reports on projects of national pride and other projects are in the process of acquiring. Those will be vetted and reported to the federal government.
The followings delineate upcoming polices on various sectors.
• Transparency in formulation of state Budget
• Establishment of state bank to form an investment pool
• Holistic development of economy through three-front participation of government, private sector and cooperatives.
• Attract local and foreign investors and funds to invest in state-5
• Facilitate and encourage the saving measures
• Bank account for all citizens
• Strengthening productivity and state revenue
Good governance and transparency
• State level commitment towards transparency, accountability and good governance
• reinforcement of security forces and institutions
• Development and implementation of E-government services and solutions
• Proper system of monitoring and evaluation
Stress on development of tourism infrastructure
• focus on implementation of broader Lumbini development masterplan
• Installation of educational park/hub and multipurpose park in the places adjacent to east-west highway
• Preservation of Jagadishpur lake(listed on Ramsar List of wetlands of international importance) and other natural lakes/ponds and building new artificial lakes/ponds
• building new hill stations to attract national and international tourists
• development of places related to artifacts of Lord Buddha era, ancient religious places and religious tourism
• creation of facilities like home stay and new tourist destinations to promote cultural tourism
• to establish a special plan for Nepalgunj in context to its development towards becoming a major route for Mansarovar.
• protect, promote and facilitate artists for the purpose of development and upliftment of art and culture
• promote the preservation and research works for the ancient artifacts.
• promote the research works on historical antecedents for the purpose of translating it into touristic value.
• stress on development of infrastructure for the purpose of integrated development of art, culture and tourism sector.
Focus on Irrigation
• stress on implementation of Very-Babai diversion, Sikta and Badkapath irrigation projects
• Initiate the feasibility study of Kaligandaki-Tinau diversion, Guharkhola and Katuwa Khola Highdam and Bannganga high dam and expedite the construction work of them
• Use of cutting edge technology such as Lift-irrigation method for the irrigation of hilly regions, Construction of artificial lakes by harvesting the rain-water during the rainy season, implementation of droplet-irrigation projects to manage the irrigation
Agriculture and Forestry
• Automation and commercialization of agriculture to gear up towards self reliance on agriculture products
• identification of productive zone/ Green zone and protect as well as facilitate them through technical assistance and subsidies.
• Provision of cold storage, long term storage and market access for organic agricultural products
• Special facilities and subsidies for herbal harvest, production, extraction and medicinal value addition
• policy and program on scientific forest management practices for economic development by protecting forests and their proper utilization
Access Road connectivity
• To re-construct east-west highway as a 6 lane highway and Hulaki road as 4 lane road
• Construction of state hill highway from Palpa to Rolpa so as to connect the hilly regions of state.
• conduct study and survey of feasible geographical locations for construction of express-highway with tunnel-ways.
• To expedite the implementation of Lumbini international airport
• Expansion of Nepalgunj airport and land pooling for construction of regional airport at Dang
• Construction of helipad in the remote hilly regions as per the requirements
Railway and Cablecar
• Conduct the feasibility study of monorail and implement it with the focus on buddha circuit.
• Conduct the feasibility study and construct ropeway and cable car at appropriate locations
• Stress on implementation of Pokhara-Lumbini railway project
• Stress on implementation of Parasi-Bardiya railway
Urbanization and housing settlement plan
• To come up with workable and effective strategies and programs for economic development of all sectors of state by the development of three metropolitan along with long term and sustainable plan with an eye on increasing population
• Establishment of metropolitan centric pocket area for goods and service delivery
• Creation of hill station in hilly reason with the focus on tourism promotion
• Development of small cities at the center of village councils and development plan for establishing integrated housing at the center of wards.
• To ensure the reinforcement of unique identity and cultural characteristics of each cities.
• To ensure the management of long-term livelihood by managing the land- less, homeless and disordered habitats in a proper order and planned manner.
• Plan to prepare semi skilled, skilled and highly skilled human resource as per the need of state
• Special focus on technical and vocational education
• To establish a state university with faculties such as science, management, technical education etc.
• To develop zonal and sub-regional hospitals to provide state-of-the-art and quality oriented medical services.
• In line with the principle of social justice, special care will be taken for elderly, children and differently abled persons.
• The focus will be set on computer education right from the school level.
• Development and promotion of information technology will be expedited with the vision of creating digital state
• Utilization of information technology for the speedy service delivery in a transparent, accountable and judicious manner
• Research and development as well as study of information technology sector will be highly encouraged
• Integrated data center /data bank of state will be constructed
• To manage the unmanaged habitation/settlements
• Land fortification through embankments
• To protect public land and utilize it in public interest
• Expedite land utilization policy to facilitate the modernization and commercialization of agriculture sector
• To promote the river connectivity program by ensuring proper embankment programs
Industry and commerce
• To stress on infrastructure development for the development of industries
• To construct industrial corridor based on custom checkpoints viz. Nepalgunj, Bhairahawa, Krishna-nagar and Koilabas.
• Transparency and security enforced modernization at custom checkpoints
• The import of unsafe, adulterated and toxic food items will be strictly banned.